Car needs the engine as energy source. The engine provides mechanical power to keep the car moving. Piston engines classifications by the next signs.
- The purpose: transport and stationary;
- The Operating cycle: four-stroke and two-stroke engines;
- Method of fuel injection: external carburation, internal carburation, injection by spaying.
- The combustion type of fuel mixture: ignition forced (from spark plug) and ignition due to compression.
- Type of fuel: gasoline engine, gas-power engine, diesel engine.
- Number of cylinders: one-cylinder engine, multi cylinder engine (double-, three-, four-, six-, eight- cylinder engines).
- By cylinders arrangement: cylinder-in-line, v-arrangement, flat.
- Type of cooling: engines withliquid cooling and air cooling.